You must notify Motor Vehicles Insurance Limited immediately if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and sustained injury. You may lodge a claim yourself or through your lawyer.
What are you claiming for?
Not everyone who is injured is entitled to receive the same amount. Your claim will depend on your injuries and your circumstances at the time of your accident.
For example you might be able to claim:
- Payment for pain / suffering / disfigurement
- Income lost as a result of the injury
- Income which you can no longer earn
- Hospital and medical expenses
You should make a careful note that unless YOU CAN PROVE that you sustained the injury, or suffered, or lost income, or paid medical accounts, you could have difficulty claiming for them. Therefore you must obtain all medical report/records and accounts to give to MVIL.
If a person has been killed in a motor vehicle accident payment is made as follows:
- Where the diseased person has left a dependent wife or dependent child the payment is made to the wife or child - K5,000 maximum.
- In any other case to the head of the diseased person's immediate customary kinship group as agent for all members of that group - maximum payment K2,500 The Court does not always make an Order to pay the full amount.
For you, the widow, widower or child, you must produce to the Court - the Police Report, Post Mortem Certificate and the Death Certificate. YOU MUST DO ALL OF THIS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AFTER THE DEATH. YOU MUST ASK THE COURT YOURSELF AS A LAWYER CANNOT DO THIS FOR YOU.
Fraud IF YOU MAKE A FRAUDULENT CLAIM YOU WILL GO TO JAIL FRAUD MEANS: if you tell lies so that you or a friend can obtain money from MVIL If you know someone who is making, or has made a fraudulent claim you must immediately tell MVIL.
You must notify Motor Vehicles Insurance Limited immediately if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and acquired injury..Read More
A current certificate of roadworthiness is not enough on its own, it only means the vehicle was safe when the certificate was issued..Read More
The motor vehicles (Third Party) Insurance Act is designed to provide compensation to people injured in motor vehicle accidents. The money..Read More